Saturday, June 26, 2010

Laurel's Coconut Oatmeal Crisps

These cookies are the reason I blog--to resurrect recipes that I've disregarded for a long time.  I have had this recipe forever.  It was one that I received from a friend.  They are truly amazing and I haven't made them for years.  What was I thinking?  Generally, cookies with oatmeal are dense and chewy.  These are as light as a feather and crispy and delicious.  (Family members:  These are in the family cookbook.  They were called Yummy Cookies.  I changed the name...)

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
1/2 cup nuts (finely chopped) - I used toasted pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Mix butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla together.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to mixture. Mix well. Stir in corn flakes, oatmeal, nuts, and coconut.

Form 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 7 minutes. Makes approximately 8 dozen.

Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.

No comments: